Friday, January 16, 2009

PTO

I realize that my blog is titled Inside the Life of a PTO MOM, and yet, I haven't once blogged about PTO. I am really struggling with whether I should stay involved with the PTO next year. I am, in the 4th year on the Board, 2 as Volunteer Chair, and 2 as Vice President. I feel that everyone at the school is looking to me to be the President next year. The problem is that I am burned out, sorta.........I have all of the intellectual converations in my head weighing the pros and cons of staying on the board. On the con side, it seems like we have less and less parental involvement each year. We have 8 position on our board, and within the first 9 weeks, one of the Moms stepped down, leaving only 7. The week of one of our biggest fund raisers, our Treasurer quit, leaving us to scamble to make sure we could pay all of our entertainers. The Monday after our Friday big event, our Special Events person left. So, half way through the year, there are only 4 of us working hard to make sure everything doesn't fall apart. Of the four of us, one is 6 weeks away from having her 4th baby.......although, she is one of the hardest working members, and I actually do not imagine that changing, even with a new baby to care for.........she is simply amazing. On top of all of the stress of juggling many different positions, and just letting some things go, many of the parents are unforgiving and incompassionate about things. I can't tell you how many e mails the President and I get that are just not nice. Who wants to sign up for that? I could easily just show up at events, do the bare minimum, and leave......well, ok, maybe I couldn't do that afterall..............which leads me to the pros of being on the Board. I enjoy being "In the know" at the school. I enjoy having an inside track on information. I enjoy being a part of a group. I enjoy being validated. I enjoy being "in the loop". I am not sure that I can NOT be a part of this. The other part of the problem is that not many people from the current board are coming back to next year's board. Can I really abandon everything that I have worked so hard on for the past 4 years to a group of new parents, some who may be brand new to the school and so don't know how things are done? I am an out of the box thinker, and so am not opposed to new ideas and new ways of doing things...........and I am sure that no matter what, the school will continue, even if I am not in any position of authority. I am just very conflicted as to what I should do. My hubby would love for me to not be on the board as he thinks that then I cam stay at home all day and clean the house. I'm not sure that is the life I signed up for though. What's a PTO, Stay at Home, Mom to do???

No comments:

Tiger Cub Carolers

Tiger Cub Carolers